For more than a decade, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer (LGBTQ) community has been fighting for their rights, social acceptance and equal opportunities in education and employment. Though LGBTQ relationships have been legalized in several parts of the world, they still face discrimination and stigmatization from the society.
Are LGBTQ people really different or it the society’s mind-set that refuses to acknowledge the differences? LGBTQ people are no different from others. They are just like everyone else in this world. Just the way, each of us has varied habits, preferences, likes and dislikes, LGBTQ has their own.
Take the example of 23-year-old Sam from Canada. At the age of 16, he realized that he was more sexually oriented towards the same gender. For years, he was ridiculed by extended family members, college peers and later by colleagues at the workplace for being gay. This adversely affected Sam’s self-confidence, leading to social isolation. Then, he met some fellow gays who explained to him that there is nothing wrong with him – it is his personal choice. He gradually regained his self-esteem and found a way to ignore barbs from people around him. Today, he is a successful digital marketing analyst and lives life on his own terms and conditions.
If you are LGBTQ, learn to accept that you are not different. It is just others, who are narrow-minded and have programmed the society to think about how human beings should act or look. How we dress, who we love, what we talk about, how we behave and make choices – all of that is extremely personal and individual. If you find yourself thinking negative thoughts, remember that most of those are given to you by others. They are not your own, so don’t let them bother you. Instead, stand up and do what you can do the best, by becoming connected to your core.
Tips to Live Your Life Confidently as LGBTQ
- It’s your decision to come out or not. However, if and when you do, don’t be bothered about reactions. Give people time to absorb the news.
- Join LGBTQ community groups. Share your experiences and listen to others. It will make you feel good about your identity and individuality.
- Love yourself. When are confident about your body and mind, it exudes positive vibes to others and prevents them from seeing you as different.
- Empower yourself with the foundation of good education and life values such as courage, determination and empathy. Believe in yourself.
- Take your family into confidence. Your family loves you and become your strong support system.
You can also seek professional help from the best life coach in India or wherever you are located. A life coach can boost your self-belief and make you understand that there is nothing different about you.